FriendFeed widget

Monday, March 09, 2009

Climbing the LAST, Long, Steep Hill in Your Success Journey

Today, when I set off on my morning walk at Ventura Beach, I headed inland toward the foothills of the city. Although I love walking the beach strand, with the seagulls, surfers, walkers and fresh ocean scent, I wanted a tougher work out.


I've walked this area before but as I came around a familiar turn, I saw a steeper road leading up further on the hill than I had ever noticed before. "Oh, geez" I thought. I didn't want to do it. My immediate instinct was –"no, I've done enough, time to head back." And, that second, small, inner voice said – "C'mon wimp. You wanted a tougher workout. Think how good you'll feel once you are at the top."


"I'll just go half way" said the first small voice and I headed up. I had already put in a solid walk, lots of up and down the foothills, and my heart rate was definitely up. After a 15 second internal battle of the wills, I knew that I had to keep climbing. I had to push myself just a little further and get that extra burn and, more importantly, that feeling of accomplishment!


As I got to the top and turned around to head back down, I stopped in my tracks. The view was stunning. All of Ventura Harbor, the Channel Islands and the wide open ocean spread out before me. A sailboat regatta was just coming out of the harbor along with 2 charter boats of visitors to the islands. Surfer's Point was off to the right and the water was filled with surfers, anticipating the next great wave. I couldn't believe my payoff for making the climb!


What if I had cut it short and missed the view from the top? What if I had decided that enough was enough and I would just "settle" for the norm? What if I had let the first small voice win out and determine my destiny for that day?


Do you ever do this in your business? I sure have. My network marketing career has been filled with days of "settling." I've had goals of making 10 dials and stopped after making the first call when someone hung up on me. I've made a business plan for the next day and scrapped it in favor of reading a good book because that was easier.


Ultimately, though, over time, I made the decision to keep going. Once I realized that it wasn't going to kill me, I made the decision to push myself a little more. And, then a little more. And, even more!


There are many hills to climb in building a Network Marketing business and many pop up when you least expect it. Sometimes, you'll come around a corner and see a really long hill that you hadn't seen before. You know you've walked that path, but you swear that hill wasn't there before. You have to climb that long, last hill for the day. You have to climb it every time it shows up. You may be tired, out of breath and out of water, but you do have it in you to keep pushing forward.


Just like the view of the harbor from the top of the hill on my walk, the view from the top of your successful network marketing business is incredible. Indescribable, even. Filled with things you can't even imagine.


On a recent call with John Fogg, he asked me what the best thing has been for me about network marketing. Without missing a beat, or thinking it through, I answered with the very first thing that came to mind – personal peace, satisfaction and the feeling of accomplishment.


It's not the money; the title; the plaques and awards. Those are nice, and they felt good at the time. But nothing even comes close to the feeling I have knowing that I did it. I hit the top 1% or smaller of network marketers. I pushed against the odds and overcame the biggest obstacle of all, myself, and made it to the top.


Nothing can ever take that away. Nothing. It's mine and I own it. I want you to own it, too. Put on your walking shoes and take the journey to the top. You can’t even imagine what you will find there.


EXPECT Success!

Jackie Ulmer

No comments: