FriendFeed widget

Friday, April 24, 2009

Change Starts With You

If you want to get from where you are to where you want to be, it's going to involve change. You must be the one to make changes. The world will appear to change around you, but really, it's about the changes you are willing to make.


Most of the time, these are some of the things that need changed –

Your thoughts – this is a critical area.

Your core beliefs about yourself. These are the things you've made up in your mind (I'm not good enough; not smart enough; etc.)

The people you listen to – if they aren't encouraging you and moving you forward. Why listen?
Your habits – these are not hard to change.

What you watch; read and listen to – TV; books, radio, etc.


The news can be a great source of negativity. It's extremely de-motivating. And, believe it or not, you can live without it. I gave it up in 1997, after reading Mach II With Your Hair on Fire. Some of my friends and family didn't think it was a wise move.


"How will you stay informed and know what's going on" was their major question. My response was – "If there is anything I really need to know, someone will clue me in."


That proved true on September 11, 2001.

My husband, who's an airline pilot, was in the air, headed home from a three day trip.

I was in the shower getting ready to get the kids to school and start the day when the phone started ringing. As you can imagine, it never stopped for 3 days. But, it did prove my point. Since I gave up the news, I have always been alerted to those things I REALLY need to know.


It's not easy, in the beginning, but it is worth it. It takes 21 days to develop a new habit. Decide today on some new habits you want to create and get excited about the positive effect those changes will have in your life.


For me, giving up TV freed up plenty of extra time to work my business. Most people can find the 10 – 15 hours weekly it requires to successfully build a home business just in that time alone.


Switching from negative input to positive input freed up my mind to focus on what I wanted to achieve and not what was lacking. It gave me the push I needed to spring into action.


Richard Brookeswrites in Mach II With Your Hair on Fire – "Change is not only possible; it is inevitable. The only question is - who is going to design it? What has changed you?"

You can achieve anything you set out to achieve. It is possible. And, it requires you to make the decision, chart the course and then set out on that course. You may veer from course at times, but hold steady to your decision to achieve your goal and get yourself back on track as quickly as possible each time you stray.

Start today to map out the changes you are committed to making in your life. It's okay to start with small, baby steps, but don't be afraid to stretch yourself outside of your bubble. Stop getting "ready" and start taking action.


Life is not a dress rehearsal. Every hour and day that passes is time that cannot be reclaimed. You are in charge of every hour in your day, so make it count.


Mahatma Gandhi said it best – "You must be the change you want to see in the world."


Change starts with you, make it start today.

EXPECT Success!

Jackie Ulmer

No comments: